Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Monday, June 27, 2005

Telephones and pranks

Ok after the last blog and the comments it got, it really got me reminisning about all the daft phone tricks we used to do. There used to be a little group of us always 3 sometimes 4 and we would meet up at a telephone box just down the road from where I lived , remember the ones that had just the 2p and 10 p slots?

We would telephone a random number and when they answered ask for Harry, when they said there was no Harry there we would say "oh ok if you see him can u tell him Steve phoned" and hang up. This would go on everyday for about a week then we would phone the same number and say "Hya its Harry are there any messages for me?" The responces were quite varied, some would laugh and say oh yes very funny, others would scream abuse at you, but we always found it hilarious.

Another one was we would phone up and say we were from the GPO( long time before BT) and say that we had too much wire at our end could they give it a tug and pull some through, now you have to remember that at this time phones didnt plug in like they do now they were actually wired into the wall. Lots of people would say things like oh ha ha do I sound stupid, but I swear sometimes they would agree to do it and then the line would go dead and we always wet ourselves laughing convinced that they had pulled the wire out of the wall.

Talking of walls, another one was to phone up and ask to speak to Mr Wall, they would say " No Mr Wall here" so we would ask for Mrs Wall, Master Wall and Miss Wall all with the same reply and the person getting less patient, finally we would ask "So there are no walls there then?" exasperated they would shout NOOOO and we would shout "Well whats holding your bloody roof up then"!! and proceed to fall about laughing.

Other pranks we would play, today make me squirm and think how would i react if someone did it to me.

Probably the worst one looking back was one which we only tried a couple of times which was to collect dog crap with a shovel until we had a nice little pile then wrap it all up in a thin wrapping of newspaper. We would then place it on the doorstep of a house, set it on fire, knock on the door and run off. Not too far though because we wanted to see the reaction. The person would come to the door and try to stamp out the fire thus covering their footwear in steaming hot dog poo. This we found so hilariously funny that one day we were laughing so much that we couldnt run and nearly got caught by one of our "victims".

I know, I know I should be ashamed of myself and I am but I must admit to a little titter as I typed this

What pranks did you get up to as a kid? I would love to know

7 Comments:

  • At Mon Jun 27, 07:25:00 pm, Blogger Cheryl said…

    ROFL!!!!

    You horrid child!

     
  • At Mon Jun 27, 09:53:00 pm, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Not enough space here to confess, so I blogged it and linked to you. xxx

     
  • At Mon Jun 27, 11:55:00 pm, Blogger Doris said…

    LOL - I'm afraid I've done the same as Cheryl and linked you both! :-)

    Wasn't that dog poo one they have done in films too?

    I'd forgotton it was called the GPO and was wracking my brains over that the other day! I'm sure we used to do phone call pranks to but can't remember.

     
  • At Tue Jun 28, 04:33:00 am, Blogger ShellyS said…

    My friends and I would call people at random, just make up phone numbers, and ask if people had Prince Albert in a can. If they said Yes, we told them to let him out. The worst, though, was when we called another friend, and disguising her voice, one of us told her she won a contest. She believed it, because she told us about it at school the next day. We never told her the truth.

     
  • At Tue Jun 28, 05:56:00 am, Blogger Le laquet said…

    Lolololol! The dog poo one is foul - bleugh!! Guilty as charged of the "no Walls here" prank.

    When I was in uni we also used to ring the phonebox outside our house from inside when someone was stnading there ..... comment on personal style/nose picking/arse scratching etc - ok I know I was "supposedly" adult!

     
  • At Tue Jun 28, 06:04:00 am, Blogger Le laquet said…

    p.s. As a proper adult in school if someone in class is really getting me/another teacher closer and closer to "wit's end" I/we send the child around the school with a note to all teachers with the code A.L.S. K.A.I. - all the children think it has something to do with Additional Literacy Support. It actually stands for annoying little sod, keep away indefinetly! Teachers then keep child slightly longer than necessary and you get 20 minutes peace .... and time to calm down! Does that count?

     
  • At Tue Jun 28, 09:07:00 am, Blogger Red Mum said…

    We used to phone and say all politely of course 'Hi this is Belfast Water Board, we are just checking to see if there are any faults in your water source, can you check if the water is running?'

    They always did, you'd hear them put the phone down, go off and then you'd hear the water running.

    They'd come back saying 'Yes its running'

    And we would say 'Well you may get after it before it runs away' if we weren't doubled up in laughter that is.

    When I first started a job as a teenager the 'grownups' sent me to the butchers across the road for a 'long weight/wait'. B*st*rds!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home