Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Is it art?
I think sometimes I am what some people might call a fence sitter, I always try to see both sides of an argument or point of view. This can be refreshing but it can also be very annoying for those with strong views one way or the other. Which brings me to my point ( alright alright I got here eventually didnt I?)
I saw an article the other day in the news paper about Tracy Emin and an exhibition, now I know lots of opinions have been shared about Ms Emin and her " pieces" but what I am confused about is the very question Is It Art? or do I think it is to be precise

An umade bed with condoms and tampons and soiled knickers on it
is this art?
or a sheep pickled in formaldhyde


or even the " room Installations

.

I can understand some unusual paintings like Picasso's marie

.

when you compare "modern" art ( its called Stuckism or re-modernism I believe)
to great classics like Constables Salisbury cathedral



or van gough's sunflowers



I dont think I need to go on I have just answered my own question, To me no its not art I think its just a case of the emperors new clothes the wonderful art glitterati tell us that it is so we are supposed to believe them. But then again each to their own

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 26, 02:30:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Steve
    I think you've got that a bit wrong. Stuckism was founded to oppose dirty beds and pickled sheep. It promotes figurative painting and has a special regard for Van Gogh. Check out http://www.stuckism.com/PaintingsList.html#Paintings

     

Post a Comment

<< Home