Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Friday, June 17, 2005

Big Brother ?

I have just had an epiphany, bear with me and I will explain;-
The government has announced that it would like to charge us for driving our cars(like they dont already i hear you cry), but by a fairer system or a sort of pay as you go type charge. So the more you drive or the more popular the road you drive on, the more it will cost you.
They say we can put a tracker chip in each car so that we can see where the car is and where its been at any time ( cue George Orwell screaming " SEE I TOLD YOU, I DID WARN YOU, BUT DID YOU LISTEN")
I can see a few flaws in their thinking not the least of which is that all the little b roads, they built the motorways to get us off, will fill up again.

But its the technology that has brought me to my epiphnical (is there such a word?) thought. If they can tell you where any car is at any time I have a different or additional application for their technology.
I think that everything touched by children should be fitted with a similar chip, for example the TV remote; so that when they move it, hide it or just put it somewhere it shouldnt be we could just phone up and say in true British form
"sorry to trouble you but could you tell me where the remote is please" and they would look at the tracking map and say " of course sir , its just behind the curtain on the window ledge in the first bedroom on the left as you come to the top of the stairs". I am telling you I would happily pay a small fee for that service.

What a time saver it would be in the mornings too, just picture it, instead of 20 minutes frantic searching you could just telephone and say "hello its me again, sorry to trouble you but could you tell me where Little Johnnys left school shoe (this could actually be school tie, homework book, reading book, PE kit,or anything else) is please" and they would say " Oh certainly sir, its in the rabbit hutch at the other end of the garden" ........You think I'm kidding don't you? Well I can assure you I am not, things dissappear from where the kids " definitly Put them" and reappear in the weirdest places.

As in most households these days we have remotes for just about everything TV, DVD Video, Stereo, Sky and at any one time I would say at least three of these are missing and always the one that you need.
So i am going to write to the government department and tell them I have an idea I am certain 99% of the population would support, but then again that would probably put them off.

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Jun 17, 07:34:00 pm, Blogger Doris said…

    And what's worse than not being able to find the sodding remotes (plural) because the kids have carried them into the kitchen to make a drink and then lost them somewhere in between the toilet (where they haven't put the new toilet roll on the holder; haven't cleaned up after themselves; and left their empty cup)is when they remove the battery or batteries from said remotes. Sitting there clicking at buttons, being precise that you have the right remote and that you are pointing it at the right box before you realise you've been had and are firing on all blanks. Pah!

    As for the government and the driving idea. Two things - yes, there is that privacy issue..... I wonder about the satnav we already use and that if we can use the sattelites to suit us they can be doing the reverse.... such as realising that I have done a 100 mile journey in a ridiculously fast time and that I could not have kept to the 70 speed limit on the motorway; and the cost to travel is horrendous. As one or two of the conservationists were saying, it won't cut down on pollution because if one can afford to drive you don't have to go for an economically fuelled car.

    Awww jeez, Steve! Thank you so much for listing me on your side panel :-)

     
  • At Fri Jun 24, 10:02:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re.. charging for car usage

    Why on earth would the government go to all the darned expense of installing equipment on satellites to work out who is using their cars the most and then charge them.

    Wouldn't it be far easier to simply put the cost of petrol up?

    Or is this a case of big brother wants to watch our every move?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home