Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Meme's

Since I posted about the stuff I miss from being a child that Cheryl put me up for I kept meaning to Google (oops is that an advert? I must say for balance that other search engines are available, but the fact I have to use google to find them defeats the object somewhat) the word to find out what it actually meant, but you know how it is, things, annoying things get in the way of blogging, like work, kids, sleep.
So thank goodness for Doris over @ grans on bran who has done all the work for me,this is the definition she found

Pronounced: `meem

What is a meme? A meme is an idea, or a particular way of thinking about what an idea is. A meme is a unit of mental information in the same way that a gene is a unit of biological information -- a metaphor of an idea as a transposon, a pattern of thought as a virus, a knowledge structure as a chromosome.

Memes compete to spread their information though a social population in the same ways genes compete to spread their information content through a biological population.

from http://www.meme.com/memedef/


Ok so is that all clear now? No me either but at least we tried and please dont complain to me it was Doris's definition ;o)

2 Comments:

  • At Wed Jun 15, 12:42:00 pm, Blogger Doris said…

    Hi Steve :-) For the sake of credit due where it is due, that definition is actually from Eric Watt Forste's "Arkuat's Meme Workshop" and was copied out on the link.

    I sure am glad that I am not the only who is not that clear either.

    As for you lowering the tone of my blog, I will fish out my box of tricks from under the bed and will deal with you after lunch in my blog! Don't be late!!!

     
  • At Tue Jun 28, 04:36:00 am, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Or there's the dictionary definition. From Merriam-Webster Online:
    Main Entry: meme
    Pronunciation: 'mEm
    Function: noun
    Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
    : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

    Nice blog, btw. I got here via Doris' blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home