Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Funny Ads


Was meandering around blogland when i came across Milt Bogs and followed a link from his site to find THIS. Which I found amusing

Oh and Just for Andrea I found this, and this too as i believe she is a big Peter Kay fan

While we are on the subject of advertising can anyone tell me why they keep changing the names of products, from names we have known for years to something completely different or something similar but different if you know what I mean.
For example Oil of Ulay , you know the face cream that irons all your wrinkles away is now known as Oil of Olay!! whats the bloody point in that?

It all started with Marathons which became
a Snicker..... what sort of name is that?


Then Opal Fruits became Star Bursts







From then on it went mad Jif became Cif
because in Europe they couldnt pronounce the J
and then
immac became Veet.







Leave our brands alone Global companies we are only a small xenophobic, introverted island.
I am sure there are loads more that have changed and i welcome anyone who can enlighten me , go on let me know if you can think of any.

7 Comments:

  • At Wed Jul 20, 04:01:00 pm, Blogger Sparkling said…

    Local companies want to go global? Well, they should have thought of that when they branded their products in the first place!

    But then, sometimes rebranding is just for the attention...

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 12:00:00 am, Blogger Doris said…

    I've resented some of the re-branding myself. But you know, I didn't realise Opal Fruits had changed too.

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 06:01:00 am, Blogger Le laquet said…

    Yes and when they changed Oil of Ulay - we couldn't call it Oil of Ugly any more @ our house!!!

     
  • At Thu Jul 21, 09:07:00 am, Blogger Andrea Knapp said…

    OMG I remember Immac! How funny is THAT?

    and you are spot on.

    Cheers for the links! Muchly appreciated!

     
  • At Fri Jul 22, 02:22:00 pm, Blogger Huw said…

    I would appreciate if everyone reffered to me as The Great Hingaro from now on please. Huw confuses my lucrative SE Asian market.

    Thank you.

     
  • At Sun Jul 24, 07:48:00 am, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Eeh it all started when Nestles went Frebch and we had ta pronounce it Nestlay.

    Glad you have found Milt and Andrea, very different, very funny :-)

     
  • At Thu Jul 28, 05:25:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about The Artist Formerly Known as Prince? What was that all about!?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home