Wittering Heights

Its better than talking to yourself and they can't section you for blogging, at least I hope not

Friday, September 02, 2005

I didnt think I would post about Hurricane Katrina but....

I didnt think I would post about this as there has been so much already said and written by people much more competent, knowledgeable and intellegent than me, but after seeing the images the last couple of nights on Fox news, I just felt I need to have my say.

I can see in hindsight it is much easier to say what should have been done and USA goverment spokesmen/women are sticking with this tack at the moment, that they couldnt have predicted the devastation that would happen. The thing that makes this less believable is the fact that the hurricane was expected to hit as a Category 5 but actually "only" struck as a category 4 so surely the planning that was in place should have been more than sufficient. The starnge thing that struck me, and I can only go off what I have seen reported, The levees holding back the water were only built to withstand a Category 2!! WHY for heavens sake When they expect to get hit by category 3 's and 4's. Is it the US Government playing the percentage game? I.E whats the likelyhood of it really happening and then deciding to spend the money elsewhere.

People are being critised for not evacuating when they were told to, but if you have nowhere to go and no money to take you there, and all that you own in the world is what surrounds you in your home, or if a family member is too sick or frail to move, what are you supposed to do.

The Police are being criticised for not doing enough, well I watched a journalist last night interviewing a Cop when the Officer just burst into tears and said something along the lines of, I have so much to do, I am trying as hard as I can but seem to be getting nowhere and I am not even sure if my own family are safe. What some seem to forget is that the Police are human too, I know we all love to hate them when they pull us over for speeding, but give them a break, what would you have them do? With severely limited resources and fragile communications, I think in the main that they are showing super human strength of character Just as you would hope and many would count on.

Onto the looters, anybody who is taking stuff like food , water, perhaps dry clothes and shoes I dont think that there is anyone who would blame them, they have interviewed people that havent eaten for 3 days. I mean if it was me and my kids were hungry and thirsty in those circumstances I wouldnt hesitate to take some food and drink from a shop. As for those who are taking other things like the people the police caught going from house to house, stepping over the dead bodies of the householders to steal their valuables, they can do with them what they will.

One more thing about "looters" I was quite distressed by this, it seems even in disasters some people let other agendas or prejudices rule the way they think ( I must point out that I have had to find the pics from another site now, as the origional site has deleted them at the request of the associated press)
Draw your own conclusions















Enough pontificating from me anyway, my thoughts are with those who are still in the area, those still waiting to be rescued, if like me you feel a little useless not being able to do anything to help,You could do your bit and give a couple of quid or whatever you can spare to the American RedCross or the Salavation Army ( I did plan on putting the links here but they appear to be broken at the mo, hopefully from over use)

4 Comments:

  • At Fri Sept 02, 04:58:00 pm, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Thanks for that Steve.
    Someone commenting on my blog mentioned the way different people were reported as either finding or looting, apparently decided by 'type'.
    Glad you caught the shot and saved it.

     
  • At Sat Sept 03, 04:36:00 pm, Blogger ella m. said…

    I'd elaborate on some of your excellent points, but I'm saving my pontificating until my little blog hurricane relief charity drive ends today(myself and several others are donating to relief charities for every comment todat 9/3/05)

    What it boils down to is that the US government is actively not giving a damn about all of tose poor souls, so i'm focusing on whatever little bit i can do to help first and saving the intellectual debate for later :D

     
  • At Mon Sept 05, 08:04:00 pm, Blogger fineartist said…

    Steve your cover on this natural disaster is both compassionate and well written, also shows that the event has left you, like most of us, numb and wondering.

    Yes, the engineers predicted that this could happen and yes, the money to make the levee sound was denied, and yes as Ella points out, our present government has other vested interests to protect, other priorities, so now we humans will pick up the pieces.

    We will do what we can to provide the necessities of life for our displaced citizens. We will pull together as a nation in compassionate and practical ways to aid in putting those peoples lives back together. We humans are capable of so much good, unfortunately the focus usually tends to be placed on the bad that we do, rather than the good. The situation really sucks though, ya.

    Poor planning, lack of caring by those who are in power…and I agree with you, I am tired of hearing that those poor souls should have gotten out when they were told to. That is the most uncaring thing that anyone can say….sure they should have evacuated, but as you so articulately stated, what people should do and what people can do are sometimes two entirely different things. We do what we can, and those who have the financial means, do so much more easily than those who do not. That is the sad way of it. The haves get more and the have nots get criticized.

     
  • At Fri Sept 23, 03:05:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And ain't it simple to say to people: "Get out", but provide absolutely no means for those who have no car. (About 10,000 people, so I heard.) Why weren't the bus stations and train station opened for evacuees for free, starting, say, five or six days before the hurricane landed? Everyone knew that much in advance it was coming, and how bad it would be. Honestly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home